Sunday, February 1, 2009

Weekend Fun







Kate and Sarah often ask that I pick them up from school on Fridays. Who wouldn't? I take them to the pool in the summer and indoor jumpy thing in the winter. Sometimes we just come back to our house and "hang-out" with the neighbor kids, play outside and build fires.

This past Thursday I called to see if Kate and Sarah had been good this week and still wanted to come over on Friday. Kate said she wanted to come over, bring her new sleeping bag the Nebraska Provosts gave her and sleep on the floor. Sarah said she wanted to make cup cakes. So, my Friday afternoon and evening were planned.

I tried out making chocolate cake in my "princess" mini bunt pans. They sort of look like a castle. Stelle promptly stole one off the counter and ate it. After, filling the kids with sugar they were quite cute playing with Uncle Steve.

The next morning, MORE SUGAR! I promised to bring donuts to our Trees Atlanta planting on Cambridge. I took Kate and Sarah to the Krispy Kreme donut factory and let them choose two donuts each. Of course they needed chocolate milk.

We then proceeded to the tree planting. Although dressed and ready for cheering, Kate picked up a shovel to participate. It was particularly cute because her green and white uniform represents the Trees Atlanta colors. This made it appear that we would have our own cheering section for the day.

Cambridge Avenue is the street behind our house and home to many of our friends. The turn out of volunteers was incredible. We had more volunteers than shovels. It was a tough planting because the space for planting was the two foot strip between the road and the sidewalk. I believe we planted 30 flowering trees. I can't wait until spring.

1 comment:

Uncle Steve said...

We planted over 60 trees, actually. And couldn't have done it without the one-girl cheer leading section.