Monday, March 2, 2009

Chasing the Sun

I am in San Diego. I am staying at a historic hotel called the Sofia. I left Atlanta around 4pm. I stopped in Denver for about 15 minutes then headed to San Diego. I finally arrived at 10:30pm east coast time. It was a pretty trip as it seemed like we spent most of the time chasing the sunset.

The airport was a mess. Many flights were cancelled on Sunday because of the rain and snow in Atlanta. Apparently flights all the way up the east coast were cancelled today because of weather in those parts of the country. My gate was situated near some really unhappy people that had been trying to get to New York for two days. I walked up about the time they found out they were delayed another 2 hours.

I found an empty seat, sat down and situated my bag out of everyone's way - everyone but mine. A few minutes later a woman walked up moved the stuff in the seat next to mine and said "I was sitting here". Thinking she thought my stuff was in her way I moved my bag a little further from her and said (very nicely by the way) "there you can still sit there". I really was trying to be nice, understanding that she was frustrated with her travel situation. Mind you the four gates in the immediate area were overflowing with people. People were looking for places to rest.

I was fortunate and my flight was on time so within 15 minutes I was standing in my queue to get on my plane. I looked over at the woman I spoke to and she had moved into the seat I had just left and moved her bag and coat to the chair she had just left. All around her people were sitting on the floor and on their bags. I am always stunned at such selfishness. Maybe she was bumped from the flight.

No comments: